Category Archives: A5 Reflections & Tutor Report

Dodge and Burn

Further to comments made by my Tutor, I have used the Burn feature in photoshop to reduce the highlight area to the left of the picture that my Tutor suggests pulls the eye.

Before.

no-dogs-2-resized

After:

no-dogs-3-resized

My skills with Photoshop are still very basic and a thorough scrutinisation of the brick work will quickly reveal the work I have done with the ‘Healing Brush’.  Although I hope that no one is going to look too closely at the brick work.

Advertisements

Remedial work to assignment 5

no-dogs-1

This was my original image that I submitted to my Tutor and based upon his report I have amended the image through Photoshop.   I have tried to reduce the high light on the door but I don’t won’t to remove as I won’t it to remain a clue to the real identity of the entrance and the door keeper.

no-dogs-2-resized

I have cropped in a little and used the healing tool to extend the brick work on either side of the door.

Tutor Report for Assignment 5

shaun-mullins-512659-photography-1-context-narrative-assignment-5

I have just received my Tutor’s report for my last assignment for the Context & Narrative course and I am both pleased and relieved that my Tutor liked it and has given me a good report.

He comments that I didn’t mention if I used a tripod.  This was an oversight in my blogging, as I had used it and I listed it as the equipment used but obviously I did not make it clear that the camera was mounted to the tripod for all my shots.

When setting up for the shoot, I reasoned that by mounting the camera, it would slow me down and help control the framing of the picture and although I didn’t consider it at the time it was important in order to be able to merge more than one image through Photoshop, if required.  Which in fact was the case.

I feel that although I achieved what I set out to make, I still felt that picture wasn’t quite as good as I hoped.  I struggled with the framing as the camera was fixed; and my dog was not, which caused problems getting all the elements in the right place.  Perhaps I should have set the camera up a little further away or set the zoom to a wider angle for greater flexibility when cropping.  However, I was working at my second choice of locations due to circumstances beyond my control and time had been wasted trying to get access to my first location choice, leaving me less time to work.  All in all, I made the best out of a non-ideal situation and I am fairly happy with the final picture if not ecstatic.